Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Former Laois boss Sugrue says Kerry U-20 job ‘too good to turn down’

Former Laois senior football manager John Sugrue has said that the Kerry U-20 job was ‘too good to turn down’.

There was surprise back in July when it was revealed that the Kerry native would step down from his two years in charge of the O’Moore men that saw back-to-back promotions in the league and a Leinster final appearance.

However, Sugrue was not idol for long and he was later appointed manager of the Kerry U-20s.

He told the Irish Independent: “I’ve been around teams for a long time now. I’ve either been involved with a team or I’ve been physio with a team or coaching/managing/physio – I’ve done all three.

“It’s one of those things, the Laois thing came to an end and to be honest with you, I had no inclination of getting back into management.

“I got a call from Tim Murphy, the county board chairman. It’s always one of those things, I’m from Kerry originally and I’ve a great grá for the game and I’ve a great grá for how the game is played, and the opportunity down there was too hard to turn down.”

Sugrue also revealed that he received a phone call from current Laois boss Mike Quirke after he took over from him.

Speaking to the 42.ie, he said: “He just looked for a little bit of background information more than anything else and I gave him what I felt was relevant.

“He’s gone in and is doing a great job there now. I was in at their game last Saturday night [against Armagh] and it was a great win. It was great to see them play such solid football, it was super.

“I have been living in Laois for ten years now so I’ve developed an affinity towards them as well as my own county Kerry. Our little fella goes to the games and so does my little lady. So it’s great to see them going so well.”

The Laois footballers continue their league campaign on Sunday against Cavan at 2pm.

SEE ALSO – Laois Ladies set to form MW Hire O’Moore Park double header this Sunday

The post Former Laois boss Sugrue says Kerry U-20 job ‘too good to turn down’ appeared first on Laois Today.



source https://www.laoistoday.ie/2020/02/06/former-laois-boss-sugrue-says-kerry-u-20-job-too-good-to-turn-down/

No comments:

Post a Comment